TRAVEL DIARY: RIO PRO
Alessa, Courtney & Laura have been in Rio these past two weeks for the latest ASP world tour event. The women's event got started early and was over in a flash which meant tons of time for relaxing and exploring. Here are a few suggestions if you ever find yourself in Rio...
- Climb the famous tiled stairs, Escadaria Selaron. The most beautiful steps you will ever take!
- Visit a Favela, a shantytown on the outskirts of Rio.
- For the best Acai in town & free wifi, go to Big Polis. Our girls like it because they mix the honey and granola together. If you want them to do this, say "acai, granola Mel batidu".
- Paddleboard to an island!
- Explore Santa Teresa, the hilltop, bohemian neighborhood of Rio. Have lunch at Aprazivel and get the one and only caipirinha: cachaca, lemon, ice and sugar.
- Visit the local open market on the weekend.
- Get the best view of the Cristo Redentor in a helicopter!
- Relax poolside at the Hotel Fasano. Later, hang out at the bar.
- Eat some Brazilian BBQ.
- On the weekends, they close down the streets along the beach and everyone bikes around and enjoys the sun.
Laura's airplane snack lineup.
Courtney Conlogue on the first day.
Laura sipping down a caipirinha in Santa Teresa.
Tiles from the famous stairs, Escadaria Selaron.
A helicopter tour is the way to view the famous statue of Jesus Christ.
Our favorite acai place, Big Polis.
Party at the Billabong house!
Exploring the hilltop Favela in Rio.
Alessa & her man, Caio Ibelli.
Local open market during the weekend.
Laura on day 1.
Alessa getting ready before the comp starts.
Laura & Granger Larsen paddleboarding to the islands across from our hotel.
View from the Billabong house.
Translation: More love please!